Stephen Ministry at Community United Methodist Church
The purpose of the Community United Methodist Church Stephen Ministry is to provide ongoing one-on-one Christian care to all in need within our congregation and Elm Grove, Brookfield and the larger community. To learn about Stephen Ministries worldwide visit: http://www.stephenministries.org
What Is Stephen Ministry?
Based on the story found in Acts 6.1-6, seven laypersons were trained and blessed by the disciples to carry on the care ministry in the early church. In similar ways, Stephen Ministers augment pastoral care in a congregation. Stephen Ministers, after training, will be able to respond to:
- People who are hospitalized
- Those who are grieving
- Those suffering loneliness or discouragement
- The divorced or separated
- Those who are affected by death
- Unemployed persons
- People who are homebound or institutionalized
- Those dealing with moving and the losses/challenges of relocation
- Parents grappling with loss when children leave home
- Those convalescing or rehabilitating
- New parents
- Single parents
- Victims of natural or human-caused disaster
- Those in spiritual crisis
- Many other circumstances that we may find ourselves facing
A STEPHEN MINISTER IS…….
· A child of God who walks beside a person who is hurting
· A congregation member with the gifts of caregiving, who
was carefully selected to serve in this role
· A lay person who has received 50 hours of training in
providing emotional and spiritual care
· A caring, Christian friend who listens, cares, prays,
supports, and encourages
· Someone who will “be there” for his or her care receiver, meeting faithfully for about an hour each week, for as long as there’s a need
WE’RE READY, THIS IS YOUR MINISTRY…….
You play an important role in our Stephen Ministry. Here’s what you can do:
TELL A FRIEND
CONSIDER BECOMING a Stephen Minister
For more information call Don Down (262-821-1403) or the church at 262-782-4060.